A former presidential aide and chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Umar Sani, has alleged that former President Goodluck Jonathan has already obtained a presidential nomination form ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Sani, who previously served as Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to former Vice President Namadi Sambo, made the claim during a television appearance on Trust TV on Tuesday, sparking fresh political discussions about Jonathan’s possible return to active politics.
The comments come at a time when Jonathan has been holding consultations across political and diplomatic circles, fueling speculation that he may be preparing for a comeback nearly 12 years after leaving office.
Although the former president has not publicly declared any intention to run or confirmed the platform he might use, Sani insisted that internal tensions within the PDP may have influenced Jonathan’s cautious political posture.
He dismissed suggestions that the party was attempting to leverage Jonathan’s popularity for political advantage, arguing instead that the former president’s actions already indicated clear intent.
“The issue is not about whether we will extract commitment from him. What is most important in politics is action. If your action suggests you are interested, there are certain actions to follow. One of which is the procurement of the nomination form.
“He has procured the nomination form. In fact, he is about to come and submit the forms publicly. So it is not an issue of whether we are trying to bring or use him for our face-saving grace, whatever. No.

“The fact of the matter is that we believe that Jonathan is the right choice at this moment,” Sani said.
He further expressed confidence that legal challenges questioning Jonathan’s eligibility to contest again would fail, insisting that the matter has already been addressed in prior judicial decisions.
“We are very confident that the matter will be thrown out because you cannot relitigate something that has already been decided upon,” he said.
Sani added that only the Supreme Court could overturn previous rulings and predicted that the case pending before Justice Peter Lifu would likely be dismissed when it comes up on May 26.
He also rejected claims that Jonathan’s supporters were exploiting his name for political relevance, saying the former president still enjoys strong emotional support among Nigerians.
“Most Nigerians know him and are nostalgic about Jonathan. At the time he left office, many people felt the PDP was not performing, but now Nigerians have seen the difference clearly,” he added.
Goodluck Jonathan served as Nigeria’s president from 2010 to 2015 before losing re-election to former President Muhammadu Buhari. Since leaving office, he has largely focused on diplomatic mediation roles across Africa while staying away from active partisan politics.
What You Should Know
The claim that Goodluck Jonathan has purchased a presidential nomination form ahead of the 2027 elections has reignited speculation about a possible political comeback.
Although Jonathan has not confirmed any ambition, the statement by Umar Sani adds momentum to ongoing debates within the PDP and wider political circles. It also highlights internal party uncertainties as stakeholders weigh potential candidates.
If true, Jonathan’s return would significantly reshape the 2027 presidential race due to his national recognition and previous leadership experience.
However, legal questions around eligibility and political consensus within the PDP remain major factors that could determine his eventual participation in the election.

















