• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Verily News
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Global News
  • Politics
    • Political Analysis
    • Government & Policies
  • Business & Economy
    • DIY and FAQ
    • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Movie
    • Music
  • Technology
  • Trends
  • Fact-Check
    • Investigative Reports
  • Opinion
  • Share your story
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Global News
  • Politics
    • Political Analysis
    • Government & Policies
  • Business & Economy
    • DIY and FAQ
    • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Movie
    • Music
  • Technology
  • Trends
  • Fact-Check
    • Investigative Reports
  • Opinion
  • Share your story
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
Home News Global News

WHO Declares Hantavirus Outbreak Officially Over

July 3, 2026
in Global News
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
WHO
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin
Spread the love

The World Health Organization (WHO) on Thursday formally closed the book on one of the most closely watched infectious disease scares of the year, declaring an end to the hantavirus outbreak that swept through the passengers and crew of the Dutch-flagged expedition cruise ship MV Hondius.

The announcement came after the final identified contact of an infected person completed a lengthy quarantine period, tested negative for the virus, and returned home, the last loose thread in a contact-tracing operation that had, at its peak, stretched across 33 countries and territories.

“Today, the final contact of a person exposed to hantavirus on the cruise ship MV Hondius completed their quarantine period, tested negative, and returned home,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters at a briefing on Thursday. “No further cases have been reported since the 25th of May. Therefore, WHO considers the hantavirus outbreak over.”

The outbreak’s origins trace back to April 1, when the MV Hondius set sail from Ushuaia, Argentina, bound for remote islands in the South Atlantic, including Tristan da Cunha, before turning north toward Tenerife in Spain’s Canary Islands.

It was during this voyage that passengers began falling ill with what would later be confirmed as the Andes strain of hantavirus, a variant found in the Andes mountain region of Argentina and Chile.

What made the outbreak unusual and drew the attention of global health authorities was the strain involved. The Andes virus is the only known hantavirus capable of spreading through close, prolonged contact between humans, a marked departure from the typical transmission route for hantaviruses, which almost always pass from rodents to people through contact with urine, droppings,, or saliva, rather than person to person.

By the time the outbreak was contained, the WHO recorded 13 confirmed cases and three deaths, a case fatality ratio authorities had flagged early on as alarmingly high. Symptoms typically begin with fever, headache, muscle aches, and gastrointestinal distress before, in severe cases, progressing rapidly to respiratory failure and fluid build-up in the lungs.

The scale of the contact-tracing effort was extraordinary for a single-vessel outbreak. Tedros said health authorities ultimately identified and monitored more than 650 contacts, following up with them through national health systems in 33 countries and territories.

High-risk contacts were placed under quarantine and observation for up to 42 days, reflecting the extended incubation period hantavirus infections can have.

The logistics were complicated by the ship’s itinerary. Passengers had already disembarked at several stops, including Saint Helena, Cabo Verde, and Tenerife, before the cluster was fully recognized, forcing investigators to track down travelers who had already scattered to their home countries.

In the United States, evacuated passengers were flown to specialized biocontainment facilities, including the National Quarantine Unit at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, for close monitoring.

Tedros singled out the country for praise, crediting Spanish authorities with establishing a safe zone in Tenerife where the ship’s remaining passengers and crew could disembark before being repatriated under quarantine, an operation that required close coordination between the the WHO, Spanish health ministries, and multiple national governments receiving returning citizens.

The MV Hondius itself eventually completed its journey to Rotterdam, arriving on May 18 carrying its remaining crew, before undergoing a thorough disinfection process. The ship was cleared to return to service by the end of May.

Even as he declared the immediate crisis over, Tedros made clear that WHO’s engagement with hantavirus research is far from finished. The organization is now coordinating a study spanning 21 countries aimed at deepening scientific understanding of how the disease progresses in the body, research that officials hope will eventually yield better diagnostic tools, treatments, and vaccines for future outbreaks.

Tedros also used the moment to draw a broader point about the value of international cooperation in an especially strained period for global health, noting parallel outbreaks of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo and the Marburg virus in Uganda that continue to test WHO’s response capacity.

“No country alone can fight,” he said, arguing that all three outbreaks underscored the necessity of coordinated, cross-border public health action under the International Health Regulations.

The declaration also closes a loop for countries far removed from the outbreak’s immediate geography. Nigeria’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention had issued a public advisory in May reassuring citizens that no hantavirus cases had been detected domestically, even as it intensified surveillance and urged healthcare workers to remain alert for suspected cases.

The NCDC’s advisory reflected a pattern seen globally: countries with no direct link to the ship nonetheless moved to strengthen monitoring, wary of both the virus’s unusual transmissibility and the reach of international travel.

With the outbreak now formally closed, attention shifts to the research phase and to whether lessons from the MV Hondius cluster will translate into stronger defences against the next unexpected outbreak at sea.

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW

The WHO has officially declared the MV Hondius hantavirus outbreak over, 66 days after it began, following the last contact’s clean quarantine release. In total, 13 people were infected, and 3 died from the Andes virus, the only hantavirus strain known to spread between humans.

Rapid, coordinated international contact tracing across 33 countries, involving over 650 people, successfully contained a rare and unusually transmissible virus before it could spread further, a reminder that swift multinational cooperation remains the most effective defense against emerging outbreaks.

Tags: HantavirusWHO
Share197Tweet123Share35
Previous Post

Naira vs Dollar Exchange Rate—3rd July 2026

Next Post

Police: Death toll from Niger State communal violence rises to 18

Related Posts

Strait of Hormuz

Strait of Hormuz Standoff Escalates

by Victoria Ogbadu
August 18, 2026
0

Iran's parliament speaker and chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf issued his toughest warning yet on Tuesday, saying the Strait of...

Visa

Russia Launches New Visa for Skilled Foreign Professionals

by Victoria Ogbadu
August 17, 2026
0

Russia has opened a new immigration channel designed to draw scientists, entrepreneurs, engineers, artists, and athletes from abroad, offering many...

Ebola

DRC Records 2,325 Ebola Deaths

by Victoria Ogbadu
August 17, 2026
0

The Ebola outbreak ravaging the Democratic Republic of Congo has officially become the deadliest in the country's recorded history, after...

Iran

Iran Rejects Trump’s Claim to Strait of Hormuz as “US Territory”

by Victoria Ogbadu
August 15, 2026
0

Iran issued a defiant rebuke of Donald Trump on Saturday after the US president suggested Washington would soon claim the...

Airport

Rainfall Leaves Five Dead, 6,000 Stranded at Airport

by Victoria Ogbadu
August 14, 2026
0

Eastern Japan awoke to devastation on Friday after "unprecedented" overnight rain hit Chiba prefecture, killing at least five, cutting power...

Load More
Next Post
Police

Police: Death toll from Niger State communal violence rises to 18

SSG

Former SSG Killed by Suspected Bandits

Iran

Iran Begins Week-Long Farewell to Slain Supreme Leader

SEC

SEC Grants 7 Crypto Firms Conditional Sandbox Approval

pension

FG Clears 24,000 Retirees' Pension Arrears

PFIPC

Full Details Of Charges Filed Against ‘Non-existent’ PFIPC DG

Supreme Court

Court orders federal lawmaker to forfeit N150m to FG

ganduje

Ganduje speaks on dumping APC for NDC

Ganduje Speaks on Dumping APC for NDC

Ganduje Speaks on Dumping APC for NDC

INEC to Conduct Mock Presidential Election Ahead of 2027 Polls

INEC Extends Voter Registration

Cartoon of The Week!

Verily_Cartoon_15_08_2026
CLASHING FACT-CHECKS AND POLITICAL PROPAGANDA
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
cbn governor olayemi cardoso

CBN Approves Merger Between Two Banks

February 23, 2026
2027: APC Governors Endorse Next Senate President After Akpabio

APC Governorship Candidate Joins ADC

March 16, 2026
NNPC Increases Petrol Price

NNPC Reduces Fuel Price

March 17, 2026
Kenya Airways

Viral video: Drama at Airport as Nigerian Woman Clashes with Kenya Airways Over Visa Issue

0
NLC

NLC Suspends Nationwide Protest Over Telecom Tariff Hike

0
VeryDarkMan

VeryDarkMan Vows to Uncover Truth in Mercy Chinwo and Ex-Manager’s Controversy

0
FG (TInubu) To Stop Salaries Of Unverified Workers

‘Tinubu Was So Upset’ – Atiku Narrates How Buhari Rejected Oluremi As Running Mate

August 19, 2026
peter obi Dele Momodu

Peter Obi campaign DG resigns

August 19, 2026
Presidential gunmen Thugs Attack Benue Senator During Church Service Yorubaland Sponsor US

Nigerian Police inspector killed

August 19, 2026
Verily News

Copyright © 2025 Verily News.

Navigate Site

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Global News
  • Politics
    • Political Analysis
    • Government & Policies
  • Business & Economy
    • DIY and FAQ
    • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Movie
    • Music
  • Technology
  • Trends
  • Fact-Check
    • Investigative Reports
  • Opinion
  • Share your story

Copyright © 2025 Verily News.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
Get Breaking News Alerts on WhatsApp