Nigerian Police inspector killed
Eight people, including a police inspector, have been killed in a suspected Boko Haram attack on Gaya community in Hong Local Government Area of Adamawa State.
The attack occurred on Monday night when suspected insurgents invaded the community and reportedly set two houses on fire before leaving the area.
The incident caused panic among residents and raised fresh concerns about the safety of communities around the area.
The Chairman of Hong Local Government Area, Aliyu Sa’ad, confirmed that eight people lost their lives during the attack.
He said the victims were made up of seven civilians and a police inspector.
An eyewitness, Abdu Ahmadu, also confirmed that the community came under attack during the night.
Details surrounding the movement of the attackers and how long they stayed in the community remained unclear.
Following the incident, security forces were moved into the area to prevent further attacks and search for those responsible.
Soldiers, police officers, local hunters, vigilantes and other security personnel were involved in the operation.
Sa’ad raised concerns about the delay in starting operations at the proposed military barracks in Garaha, which is situated close to a major route reportedly used by insurgents to reach the Sambisa Forest.
According to the council chairman, having a permanent military presence around the area could improve security and make it easier for security agencies to respond quickly whenever communities come under attack.
The Adamawa State Police Command also confirmed that its officers were aware of the incident and had received reports from the affected community.
Police spokesperson Suleiman Nguroje said an initial report indicated that five bodies had been recovered after the attackers withdrew from the area. The recovered victims were said to include four civilians and a police inspector.
He said security personnel had been deployed to search the surrounding areas and locate the attackers. Police officers, military personnel, vigilantes and hunters were taking part in the search operation.
The command was still expecting more information from officers and other security personnel on the ground as investigations continued.















