• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions
Sunday, August 23, 2026
Verily News
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Global News
  • Politics
    • Political Analysis
    • Government & Policies
  • Business & Economy
    • DIY and FAQ
    • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Movie
    • Music
  • Technology
  • Trends
  • Fact-Check
    • Investigative Reports
  • Opinion
  • Share your story
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Global News
  • Politics
    • Political Analysis
    • Government & Policies
  • Business & Economy
    • DIY and FAQ
    • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Movie
    • Music
  • Technology
  • Trends
  • Fact-Check
    • Investigative Reports
  • Opinion
  • Share your story
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
Home News Breaking News

Peter Obi Says He May Not Live to Contest 2027 Election

July 8, 2026
in Breaking News, News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Obi
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin
Spread the love

The Nigeria Democratic Congress’s (NDC) presidential candidate for 2027, Peter Obi, has raised a startling alarm about his personal safety, suggesting he may not survive to contest next year’s election and accusing the federal government of systematically frustrating his political activities.

Obi made the comments during a wide-ranging interview on With Chude, the podcast hosted by media personality Chude Jideonwo, portions of which were shared on X on Wednesday.

Asked whether there was a chance he might not be a candidate in 2027, the former Anambra State governor went further than the question implied, suggesting the threat to him was existential rather than merely political.

He was careful, however, to frame his remarks as description rather than formal accusation, saying he experiences obstruction “every day” and that routine activities have stopped functioning normally for him, even though officials never openly acknowledge interference.

Pressed on whether he personally was being singled out, Obi widened the claim to the entire opposition, alleging that basic entitlements are being withheld from him and that associates now fear the consequences of being seen with him.

He recounted an airport incident in which staff allegedly clamped his car while leaving others untouched, and said acquaintances at airports now avoid greeting him publicly.

He also claimed that well-wishers have asked him to skip family celebrations, including weddings, apparently out of concern that his presence could draw unwanted scrutiny.

Wednesday’s remarks are not an isolated outburst. Obi has repeatedly alleged over recent months that the Tinubu administration is working to keep him off the 2027 ballot.

In March, he told an audience that the government was determined to prevent his candidacy and warned that “if you know what they are doing to ensure that I’m not on the ballot in 2027, you will be surprised,” according to remarks reported at the time.

He has also criticised the amended Electoral Act signed by President Bola Tinubu for omitting forgery as a punishable offence, and has pointed to a Federal High Court ruling in Lokoja that overturned an earlier judgment compelling INEC to register the NDC as a political party as further evidence of a hostile environment for his campaign.

The Presidency has previously dismissed suggestions that Obi represents a serious threat to Tinubu’s re-election prospects. Presidential media adviser Sunday Dare said last week that the government was not afraid of Obi and no longer viewed him as a political nightmare, citing the administration’s record in office.

Dare also predicted Obi would be unable to repeat his 2023 upset win over Tinubu in Lagos State.

As with the remarks, the government has not directly addressed Obi’s specific allegations of physical obstruction or threats to his safety, and had not responded to the latest claims as of the time of filing.

Obi offered no documentary evidence to support his account during the interview, and Nigerian authorities have not confirmed any of the specific incidents he described.

The exchange nonetheless adds to a mounting narrative from Obi’s camp echoed by allies within the fledgling NDC and its predecessor coalition efforts that opposition politics in Nigeria carries mounting personal risk ahead of the 2027 vote.

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW

Peter Obi claims he may not live to contest the 2027 election, alleging the Tinubu government is deliberately frustrating him and other opposition figures from airport harassment to social isolation of his associates.

He offers no evidence, frames it as lived experience rather than formal accusation, and the government hasn’t responded.

Given the Presidency’s past dismissal of Obi as a serious threat, this is best read as an escalation in a long-running war of narratives ahead of 2027, not a confirmed security incident.

Tags: 2027 ElectionNDCPeter Obi
Share204Tweet128Share36
Previous Post

Senate Demands Suspension of Boko Haram Rehabilitation Programme

Next Post

Sony Music Sued Over Unpaid Royalties

Related Posts

Actor

Another Popular Nollywood Actor Dies

by Victoria Ogbadu
August 23, 2026
0

Veteran Yoruba screen actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known by his stage name Ogogo, has died at the age of 66...

Grandmother

101-Year-Old Great-Grandmother Arrested for Drug Peddling

by Victoria Ogbadu
August 23, 2026
0

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says its operatives recorded a series of arrests across the country's land and...

Pope

Pope Appeals for Global Action as Ebola Outbreak Spirals in Congo

by Victoria Ogbadu
August 23, 2026
0

Pope Leo XIV used his Sunday Angelus address in St. Peter's Square to press the international community for urgent help...

Presidential gunmen Thugs Attack Benue Senator During Church Service Yorubaland Sponsor US

Bandit kingpins reportedly found in Nigerian senator’s house

by Gracie
August 23, 2026
0

High-profile bandit kingpins have allegedly been found in the residence of a Nigerian senator. Popular Nigerian digital creator, D English...

2027: Why I rejected Tinubu’s campaign DG role — Wike

2027: Why I rejected Tinubu’s campaign DG role — Wike

by Gracie
August 23, 2026
0

2027: Why I rejected Tinubu’s campaign DG role — Wike Federal Capital Territory Minister, Nyesom Wike, has explained that he...

Load More
Next Post
Sony Music

Sony Music Sued Over Unpaid Royalties

CBN

CBN Clarifies Confusion Over ₦100 Note

Senate

Senate Blocks Motion to Investigate PFIPC Budget Scandal

photo of atiku abubakar

Atiku make appointments ahead of 2027

PDP

PDP National Secretary Resigns From Party

Tinubu makes new appointment FG Declares Public Holidays witnesses

Tinubu makes new appointment

Former VP Osinbajo Gets New Appointment

Former VP Osinbajo Gets New Appointment

Oil

Global Oil Prices—9th July 2026

Naira

Naira vs Dollar Exchange Rate—9th July 2026

President Tinubu Makes New Appointment

Tinubu Writes to Reps, Declines Assent to Two Bills

Cartoon of The Week!

Verily_Cartoon_19_08_2026
Targeting the minnows while the deep waters run unchecked.
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
cbn governor olayemi cardoso

CBN Approves Merger Between Two Banks

February 23, 2026
2027: APC Governors Endorse Next Senate President After Akpabio

APC Governorship Candidate Joins ADC

March 16, 2026
NNPC Increases Petrol Price

NNPC Reduces Fuel Price

March 17, 2026
Kenya Airways

Viral video: Drama at Airport as Nigerian Woman Clashes with Kenya Airways Over Visa Issue

0
NLC

NLC Suspends Nationwide Protest Over Telecom Tariff Hike

0
VeryDarkMan

VeryDarkMan Vows to Uncover Truth in Mercy Chinwo and Ex-Manager’s Controversy

0
Actor

Another Popular Nollywood Actor Dies

August 23, 2026
Grandmother

101-Year-Old Great-Grandmother Arrested for Drug Peddling

August 23, 2026
Pope

Pope Appeals for Global Action as Ebola Outbreak Spirals in Congo

August 23, 2026
Verily News

Copyright © 2025 Verily News.

Navigate Site

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Global News
  • Politics
    • Political Analysis
    • Government & Policies
  • Business & Economy
    • DIY and FAQ
    • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Movie
    • Music
  • Technology
  • Trends
  • Fact-Check
    • Investigative Reports
  • Opinion
  • Share your story

Copyright © 2025 Verily News.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
Get Breaking News Alerts on WhatsApp