An atmosphere of fear and uncertainty has gripped communities in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State following reports that one of the teachers abducted during last Friday’s coordinated attacks on two schools in the Ahoro-Esinele community has allegedly been killed by the kidnappers.
The disturbing development has heightened anxiety among families of the remaining victims and residents of the area, who continue to await official confirmation from security agencies regarding the fate of those still in captivity.
The abduction incident occurred when armed men reportedly stormed the community on motorcycles and launched simultaneous attacks on Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School.

Initial reports from sources within the community revealed that no fewer than 46 persons were taken during the invasion, including seven teachers and 39 pupils and students.
Those earlier identified among the abducted teachers include the principal of Community High School, Mrs Alamu Folawe; the vice principal, Mr Ojo Jonathan; Mr Olatunde Zacchaeus; Mr John Olaleye; Mr Michael Oyedokun; Mrs Oladeji; and Mary Akanbi of Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School.
Residents also disclosed that the attackers fled the scene with four motorcycles.
Fresh tension erupted after reports surfaced within the community suggesting that one of the abducted teachers had been killed while in captivity.
The latest reports followed the circulation of a distress video online in which Mrs Alamu appealed to the Federal Government, the Oyo State Government, and compassionate Nigerians to intervene for the safe release of the abducted victims without resorting to force.
The Oyo State Police Command had earlier confirmed the incident, stating that tactical and intelligence teams had been deployed to rescue the victims and track down those responsible.
Responding to the incident, Governor Seyi Makinde announced what he described as a sustained and coordinated security offensive, insisting that his administration would intensify pressure on criminal networks while strengthening the state’s security framework.
Speaking to Government House correspondents at his Kolapo Ishola residence in Ibadan following a high-level security review, the governor assured residents that his administration remained fully committed to securing the release of the abducted victims.
“We have just concluded a review of the security situation, following the abduction of some teachers and schoolchildren.
“Please be assured that the government is working round the clock to address this situation and to ensure that we tackle these challenges decisively,” he said.
Makinde disclosed that rescue efforts had already recorded casualties among security operatives.
“One of the Amotekun operative is in a critical condition in the hospital, while a few soldiers, hunters, and other operatives were wounded during the operation.
“They are currently recovering, and the government will continue to take full responsibility for their recovery and medical bills,” he stated.
The governor also confirmed the death of one of the abducted teachers, believed to be the Mathematics teacher.
“Unfortunately, we received a video this morning indicating that one of the teachers, I understand the Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists earlier today,” he said, adding that “our thoughts and prayers are with the families affected.”
Makinde explained that the state was expanding its response beyond direct military action by involving traditional institutions, religious leaders, and community stakeholders in ongoing consultations.
“We have, therefore, decided that we will not rely solely on kinetic measures,” he said.
He stressed that all efforts were being directed toward ensuring the safe return of the remaining abducted victims.
“We are doing everything within our power to ensure that this situation is resolved as quickly as possible and that our children are brought back safely,” the governor assured, while acknowledging that the crisis remained “a very difficult and challenging situation.”
As part of efforts to keep the public informed, Makinde announced that the state government would commence daily press briefings.
“We will be briefing the press every evening, starting from today, until further notice, as more information becomes available,” he said.
The governor revealed that a joint task force comprising the police, military personnel, Amotekun operatives, hunters, and local security actors had been mobilised for search-and-rescue operations.
However, he noted that the rescue team encountered serious resistance.
“During that operation, they ran into improvised explosive devices (IEDs), and some of the Amotekun operatives were wounded,” he disclosed.

Makinde also confirmed that several arrests had been made as investigations widened.
“From information provided by the Commissioner of Police, about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them are believed to be informants or persons providing logistical support to the terrorists,” he said, adding that “three individuals of interest have been arrested by another security outfit within the state.”
He warned against short-term operations, stressing the need for sustained security presence.
“If all we do is conduct clearance operations for a week or two and then withdraw, the terrorists simply return,” he cautioned.
The governor further noted that increasing military pressure on insurgents in northern parts of the country may be forcing criminal groups to shift southward.
“We must also recognise that with increased pressure on terrorists and bandits in the North-West and North-East, they will continue to move southwards,” he said.
On concerns surrounding school safety, Makinde referenced the Safe Schools Initiative and called for broader reforms in the nation’s security architecture.
“When you are facing widespread security challenges, as the Yoruba would say, ‘if the louse is still on the head, the fingers will still be stained with blood,’” he remarked.
Addressing discrepancies in the reported number of abducted persons, the governor explained that confusion followed the incident as parents hurriedly evacuated children from the schools.
“In the immediate aftermath of the incident, parents and guardians came to the school, picked up their children, and left in different directions,” he said.
He added that a proper verification process would begin once schools reopen.
“At that point, we will be able to give an accurate account,” he said, reaffirming his administration’s commitment to restoring normalcy.
What You Should Know
The abduction of teachers and pupils in Oriire Local Government Area has triggered widespread concern across Oyo State, especially after reports that one abducted teacher was killed.
Governor Seyi Makinde has launched a coordinated security operation involving multiple agencies while promising daily public updates. Several suspects have already been arrested, with authorities suspecting local collaborators aided the attackers.
The incident has renewed calls for stronger school security and regional collaboration against the southward movement of criminal groups displaced from northern Nigeria. Efforts remain ongoing to rescue the remaining victims as families and residents anxiously await positive developments.



















