Wives and children of military officers detained over an alleged coup plot on Wednesday staged a peaceful protest at the National Assembly of Nigeria in Abuja, demanding a speedy trial and the release of the accused officials.
The visibly emotional protesters gathered at the entrance of the National Assembly complex, marching slowly while holding placards with messages such as “Don’t Kill Our Daddies,” “Detention Without Trial is Injustice,” and “Six Months of Torture: Enough Is Enough.”

Several children of the detained officers made emotional appeals to the government, asking that their fathers either be released or brought before a court of law.
Eight-year-old Halima Mohammed, daughter of Lt Col Mohammed Almakura, pleaded for justice.
Speaking with The Punch, she said, “Please don’t kill our daddy. We want justice for him.
“Since he was arrested by the government, our lives have not been the same again. My mummy cries every day. I really miss him so much.”
Nine-year-old Ibrahim Bala, son of Major Bala, also expressed his longing for his father.
“Let the government bring my daddy back safely.
“The last time I saw him was nine months ago. I really miss him. He used to teach me things about school and how children should behave towards adults,” he said.
Four-year-old Fatima Yusuf, daughter of Wing Commander Yusuf, appealed directly to the country’s leadership.
“I want to beg the President and our First Lady to bring my daddy safely back. Since he left, I have no one to play with. He always helped me to learn things I didn’t know and took me out,” she said.
Eleven-year-old Nana Aisha Usman also called on the authorities to either release the detained officers or formally charge them in court.
“Please help us beg the government to release my daddy or take him to court. He and other people locked up deserve justice,” she said.
Wives Raise Concerns Over Prolonged Detention
One of the spouses, Nana Ibrahim, described the continued detention of the officers as troubling and demanded transparency in the process.
“The whole coup allegation and arrest are shady. Investigations and statements have been conducted for over six months.
“Yet, they have been denied access to their families and lawyers. If they have any evidence about their involvement, they should come out with it boldly with their chest,” she said.
She added that the families were demanding an open trial.
“They should let the world know how many people are indicted or in detention and charge them in court. That is all we are asking.
“We want an open trial where everybody will listen to the charges and defend themselves… Enough is enough!” she said.
The protest took place about a month after the families appealed to Bola Ahmed Tinubu to allow them access to their husbands and ensure they are either released or arraigned in court.
The appeal was made during a press briefing in Abuja attended by more than 20 wives and several children, including a two-month-old baby.
Human rights lawyer Deji Adeyanju and activist Omoyele Sowore were also present at the briefing.
Speaking on behalf of the families, Memuna Bashiru said the prolonged detention had plunged their households into emotional distress.
She noted that while the allegations had been widely publicised, families remained uncertain about the fate of their loved ones.
Background to the Alleged Coup Plot
The arrest of the officers was first announced on October 4, 2025, by the then Director of Defence Information, Tukur Gusau, who revealed that 16 officers had been taken into custody for alleged breaches of military regulations and acts of indiscipline.
Subsequent investigations reportedly uncovered a clandestine network of officers allegedly coordinating preliminary plans for a coup.
The alleged plot reportedly involved surveillance of key national facilities, including the Presidential Villa, the Armed Forces Complex, Niger Barracks, and major international airports, with October 25, 2025, cited as the proposed date for the operation.
Those reportedly detained include Brig Gen M. A. Sadiq, Col M. A. Maaji, Lt Col S. Bappah, Lt Col A. A. Hayatu, Lt Col P. Dangnap, Lt Col M. Almakura, Maj A. J. Ibrahim, Maj M. M. Jiddah, Maj M. A. Usman, Maj D. Yusuf, Capt I. Bello, Capt A. A. Yusuf, Lt S. S. Felix, Lt Cdr D. B. Abdullahi, Sqn Ldr S. B. Adamu, and Maj I. Dauda.
According to findings, the alleged plot targeted senior government officials, including President Tinubu and the Vice President, Kashim Shettima.
























