• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions
Friday, May 22, 2026
Verily News
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Global News
  • Politics
    • Political Analysis
    • Government & Policies
  • Business & Economy
    • DIY and FAQ
    • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Movie
    • Music
  • Technology
  • Trends
  • Fact-Check
    • Investigative Reports
  • Opinion
  • Share your story
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Global News
  • Politics
    • Political Analysis
    • Government & Policies
  • Business & Economy
    • DIY and FAQ
    • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Movie
    • Music
  • Technology
  • Trends
  • Fact-Check
    • Investigative Reports
  • Opinion
  • Share your story
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
Home Business & Economy

OPEC+ Signals Modest Output Hike for May

April 5, 2026
in Business & Economy
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
OPEC+
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin
Spread the love

OPEC+ is set to lift its collective oil production quota by 206,000 barrels per day (bpd) for May 2026, according to sources familiar with the group’s deliberations,ahead of this weekend’s crucial ministerial meeting.

The planned adjustment, while symbolically important, is expected to have negligible impact on actual market supply. Ongoing geopolitical tensions — most notably the escalating U.S.-Israeli conflict with Iran — have thrown key producing nations into chaos, severely constraining output and casting doubt on the cartel’s ability to stabilise global oil markets.

Eight core OPEC+ members have already agreed in principle to implement the same incremental increase that was approved for April, the sources said. Yet the decision comes against the backdrop of what analysts are calling one of the largest oil supply disruptions in modern history: an estimated 12 to 15 million bpd — roughly 15 percent of global supply — remains offline or severely curtailed.

The Strait of Hormuz, the narrow chokepoint through which nearly one-fifth of the world’s seaborne oil normally flows, has been largely closed since late February.

Exports from heavyweight Gulf producers including Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates have been throttled. Russia, another key player, continues to grapple with limited output due to a combination of Western sanctions and infrastructure damage from its ongoing conflict in Ukraine.

“Even if the fighting stopped tomorrow, it could take months to bring production and transit routes back to full capacity because of the scale of damage to facilities across the region,” one OPEC+ source told Reuters on condition of anonymity.

For more than a year, the alliance had been methodically unwinding the historic production cuts it imposed in 2023 and 2024. Between April and December 2025, OPEC+ raised quotas by a cumulative 2.9 million bpd in an effort to reclaim market share from surging U.S. shale and other non-OPEC producers.

The group paused further increases at the start of 2026 as it monitored the fragile balance between supply and demand. Now, with prices elevated by the Gulf crisis, the modest May hike appears designed more to project confidence in market management than to flood the market with barrels that, for the moment, simply cannot be produced.

For oil-dependent economies like Nigeria, the situation presents a classic mixed blessing.

On one hand, sustained higher crude prices could provide a much-needed revenue windfall for Africa’s largest economy. On the other, Nigeria’s own production woes mean the country is poorly positioned to capitalise on the windfall.

Official figures show Nigeria’s crude output slipped to 1.31 million bpd in February 2026, down from 1.45 million bpd the previous month. Persistent challenges — rampant oil theft, pipeline vandalism, and chronic underinvestment in infrastructure — continue to erode output despite repeated government pledges to reverse the decline.

Analysts estimate that every 100,000 bpd shortfall costs the Nigerian treasury billions of naira in lost monthly revenue. The widening production gap is already straining fiscal buffers and exerting fresh pressure on the foreign-exchange market, where the naira has come under renewed selling pressure.

“Nigeria is effectively watching from the sidelines as global prices rise,” said one Lagos-based energy economist who declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the issue. “The OPEC+ quota increase may be headline news in Vienna, but on the ground in the Niger Delta it changes very little until we fix our domestic problems.”

OPEC+ insiders insist the planned May increase demonstrates the group’s commitment to orderly market management. Yet with the Strait of Hormuz still effectively shuttered and major producers operating far below their theoretical quotas, the decision risks being little more than an academic exercise — at least in the short term.

Market watchers will be closely monitoring any signs of de-escalation in the Middle East. Until tankers can once again safely navigate the Gulf and damaged infrastructure is repaired, the real battle for oil prices will be fought not in meeting rooms in Vienna but on the ground in a region that remains dangerously volatile.

For now, the message from OPEC+ is one of cautious optimism: production targets will rise, but the barrels that matter most remain, for the moment, locked behind geopolitics and geography.

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW

OPEC+’s planned 206,000 bpd production increase for May 2026 is largely symbolic and will have limited real impact on global oil supply.

Severe geopolitical disruptions from the U.S.-Israeli conflict with Iran have shut the Strait of Hormuz and constrained output from major producers (Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait, UAE, and Russia), creating one of the largest supply shocks in history — affecting 12–15 million bpd (15% of global supply).

Tags: Oil ProductionOPEC+
Share198Tweet124Share35
Previous Post

Policeman Killed as Bandits Attack Communities in Katsina

Next Post

Court Orders Netflix to Pay Back Millions Over Illegal Subscription Hikes in Italy

Related Posts

IRAN

Iran Confirms 35 Ships Cross the Strait of Hormuz

by Victoria Ogbadu
May 22, 2026
0

Iran's Revolutionary Guard announced on Friday that over 35 commercial vessels transited the Strait of Hormuz within 24 hours, citing...

Oil

Global Oil Prices—22nd May 2026

by Victoria Ogbadu
May 22, 2026
0

Oil prices edged higher Friday on faint hopes of a U.S.-Iran deal, but the modest rebound couldn't disguise a brutal...

Naira

Naira vs Dollar Exchange Rate — 21st May 2026

by Victoria Ogbadu
May 21, 2026
0

The Naira steadied against the Dollar on Thursday after the Central Bank of Nigeria held its benchmark interest rate unchanged,...

Oil

Global Oil Prices—21st May 2026

by Victoria Ogbadu
May 21, 2026
0

Oil prices edged up more than one percent on Thursday, as cautious hope over U.S.-Iran peace talks collided with mounting...

CBN

CBN Keeps Rates Unchanged for Now

by Victoria Ogbadu
May 20, 2026
0

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has opted to keep its benchmark interest rate unchanged, signaling continued caution as policymakers...

Load More
Next Post
Netflix

Court Orders Netflix to Pay Back Millions Over Illegal Subscription Hikes in Italy

Oil

Oil Prices Surge Past $110 as Hormuz Strait Remains Blocked

Former Federal Lawmaker Resigns From ADC

ADC State Secretary Resigns

ADC Speaks On David Mark’s Resignation

ADC Speaks On David Mark’s Resignation

Photo of President Bola Tinubu

Tinubu Approves ₦3.3trn to Clear Power Sector Debts

Channels TV Seun Okinbaloye Reacts After Wike Threatened To Shoot Him

Channels TV Seun Okinbaloye Reacts After Wike Threatened To Shoot Him

OPEC+

OPEC+ Approves Modest Output Hike as Hormuz Shutdown Cripples Global Oil Supply

Photo of Tinubu

Tension As Two Popular Pastors Clash Over Tinubu

Seaports

Nigeria Losing Trillions to Maritime Policy Failures, Experts Say

Iran Strikes

Israeli Strikes Kill Iranian Guard Intelligence Chief

  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
cbn governor olayemi cardoso

CBN Approves Merger Between Two Banks

February 23, 2026
2027: APC Governors Endorse Next Senate President After Akpabio

APC Governorship Candidate Joins ADC

March 16, 2026
NNPC Increases Petrol Price

NNPC Reduces Fuel Price

March 17, 2026
Kenya Airways

Viral video: Drama at Airport as Nigerian Woman Clashes with Kenya Airways Over Visa Issue

0
NLC

NLC Suspends Nationwide Protest Over Telecom Tariff Hike

0
VeryDarkMan

VeryDarkMan Vows to Uncover Truth in Mercy Chinwo and Ex-Manager’s Controversy

0
Kwara

Kwara Speaker Danladi Clinches APC Governorship Ticket

May 22, 2026
Gunmen

Gunmen Abduct Health Worker, Wife in Kogi Community

May 22, 2026
Court

Court Dismisses Suit Against Senator Ireti Kingibe

May 22, 2026
Verily News

Copyright © 2025 Verily News.

Navigate Site

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Global News
  • Politics
    • Political Analysis
    • Government & Policies
  • Business & Economy
    • DIY and FAQ
    • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Movie
    • Music
  • Technology
  • Trends
  • Fact-Check
    • Investigative Reports
  • Opinion
  • Share your story

Copyright © 2025 Verily News.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
Get Breaking News Alerts on WhatsApp