The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has raised concerns that actions by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) could prevent it from fielding candidates in the 2027 general elections.
In a statement issued by its National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, the party warned that INEC’s refusal to accept its official correspondence may effectively shut it out of the electoral process.

According to the ADC, the Commission’s stance makes it impossible for the party to meet critical legal requirements, including notice periods and document submission deadlines ahead of the May 10 cut-off set by INEC.
The party argued that available records show INEC had previously monitored and recognised its leadership structure, making its current position inconsistent.
“We are compelled to raise serious concerns about a developing situation that appears designed to prevent the African Democratic Congress (ADC) from fielding candidates in the upcoming elections,” the statement read.
The ADC said it had formally notified INEC of its July 29, 2025 National Executive Committee meeting, which the Commission reportedly attended in an official capacity. It added that INEC had updated its records to reflect a new leadership led by David Mark as National Chairman and Rauf Aregbesola as National Secretary.
“These are not claims. They are facts contained in INEC’s own records,” the party insisted.
However, the ADC said INEC has now refused to receive any correspondence from the party pending the outcome of a case before the Federal High Court—a move it described as dangerous and contradictory.
The party stressed that the Electoral Act imposes strict timelines, including a 21-day notice requirement, and noted that INEC itself fixed May 10 as the deadline for submissions. It argued that refusing to accept its documents within that same timeframe effectively blocks compliance.

“In simple terms, INEC is effectively threatening that unless the courts deliver judgement on the ADC leadership issue by May 10, it will prevent the ADC from producing candidates,” the statement added.
The ADC warned that this situation creates what it described as “artificial non-compliance,” which could later be used as grounds to exclude the party from the elections.
“This places the ADC in an impossible position and creates a clear pathway to artificial non-compliance… That is the landmine,” it said.
The party called on INEC to immediately reverse its position, resume acceptance of its correspondence, and uphold its constitutional responsibility to ensure fairness in the electoral process.
It also urged Nigerians to remain vigilant, warning of what it described as attempts to undermine democratic principles ahead of the 2027 elections.
What you should know
The ADC has accused INEC of actions that could prevent it from participating in the 2027 elections by refusing to accept its correspondence.
The party argues this makes compliance with legal deadlines impossible, raising fears of exclusion through technicalities.
The issue highlights growing tensions over electoral processes, party leadership disputes, and the importance of institutional neutrality in Nigeria’s democracy.
























