Human rights activist and former presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), Omoyele Sowore, has officially declared his intention to contest the 2027 presidential election, signaling another attempt to challenge Nigeria’s established political class.
Sowore made the announcement during an appearance on Channels Television’s Politics Today programme on Friday, where he revealed that preparations for the AAC presidential primary were already in motion ahead of the next general election cycle.
When asked directly if he would run for president again in 2027, Sowore responded confidently, “Yes. We have our party primaries next week.”
Despite confirming his ambition, the former presidential candidate avoided presenting himself as the automatic choice of the party, insisting that the final decision would remain in the hands of party members and delegates.
“Well, let the party decide who their candidates are,” he stated.
Speaking further during the interview, Sowore addressed ongoing concerns surrounding the Independent National Electoral Commission’s digital registration and compliance process for political parties.

According to him, the AAC had not fully completed its submission process, while also referencing a recent court judgment related to political party registration procedures.
“We haven’t finally submitted, and that’s what this court judgment says. So if you have submitted now, the court says you can reopen your portal and start again. But we never stopped anyway,” he explained.
Sowore also used the interview to defend his political ideology and distance himself from Nigeria’s mainstream political establishment, arguing that the country’s current challenges were created by politicians who have dominated leadership for decades.
During the discussion, he was asked why Nigerians should consider his ideas superior to those of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, former presidential candidate Peter Obi, Seyi Makinde, and former Rivers State governor Rotimi Amaechi.
Responding, Sowore said the political elite had repeatedly failed Nigerians and should no longer be trusted with the country’s future.
“Because all of the ideas of the people you mentioned brought Nigeria into this cycle of poverty, insecurity, pain, sorrow, and tears.
“Do you want Nigeria to continue to get these same people elected or selected, whichever way they get themselves into office, so that they can suffer more, so that those of us who have ideas that can liberate this country will not be listened to?” he said.
The AAC chieftain maintained that his presidential ambition is not symbolic, insisting that he is fully entering the race to win and offer Nigerians what he described as a genuine alternative.
“Yes,” he answered when asked if he was contesting to win the presidency.
“And it is because, as I’ve said several times, all the political parties are equal, and the better candidates should be able to win elections in this country, people with ideas.
“It’s different because these are different times also. Times are harder. Nigeria is in bigger trouble,” he added.
Sowore previously contested Nigeria’s presidential election under the AAC platform in both 2019 and 2023, consistently presenting himself as a reform-driven candidate focused on governance reforms, anti-corruption policies, and youth-oriented leadership.
Over the years, he has remained one of the most outspoken critics of both ruling and opposition parties, frequently accusing the country’s political establishment of worsening economic hardship, insecurity, and institutional decline.
As preparations for the 2027 elections continue to gather momentum, Sowore’s declaration adds another major name to the growing list of politicians positioning themselves ahead of what is expected to be a highly competitive presidential race.
What you should know
Omoyele Sowore’s declaration for the 2027 presidential election marks his third consecutive attempt at Nigeria’s highest office under the African Action Congress platform.
Known for his activism and outspoken criticism of the political establishment, Sowore continues to position himself as an alternative to both the ruling APC and major opposition figures.
His latest comments reflect growing political realignments ahead of 2027, as several politicians and parties intensify consultations nationwide.
While his previous presidential bids did not secure significant electoral victories, Sowore maintains a loyal support base among some Nigerian youths and activists who believe the country needs completely new leadership.



















