• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions
Friday, May 22, 2026
Verily News
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Global News
  • Politics
    • Political Analysis
    • Government & Policies
  • Business & Economy
    • DIY and FAQ
    • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Movie
    • Music
  • Technology
  • Trends
  • Fact-Check
    • Investigative Reports
  • Opinion
  • Share your story
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Global News
  • Politics
    • Political Analysis
    • Government & Policies
  • Business & Economy
    • DIY and FAQ
    • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Movie
    • Music
  • Technology
  • Trends
  • Fact-Check
    • Investigative Reports
  • Opinion
  • Share your story
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
Home News

9 Killed in Suspected Herdsmen Attack on Benue Community

April 5, 2026
in News
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
Nigeria's insecurity
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin
Spread the love

At least nine people have been reportedly killed following a fresh attack by suspected armed herdsmen on Agena community in Mbalom, Gwer East Local Government Area, reigniting fears over persistent insecurity in Benue State.

The attackers were said to have set several houses ablaze, including the community market and food storage barns, leaving behind widespread destruction and forcing residents to flee for safety.

The incident echoes a tragic event in the same area during the 2018 Mbalom church attack, when suspected herdsmen stormed St. Ignatius Catholic Church Mbalom, killing 19 people, including Catholic priests Joseph Gor and Felix Tyolaha.

Benue Attack

Sources said Saturday’s attack also left several persons missing, while one injured victim is currently receiving treatment in hospital.

A resident, who spoke anonymously, revealed that the attackers, numbering over 50, carried out what appeared to be a coordinated operation.

“People were fast asleep when the attackerssneaked into the community around 5am and began setting houses and the market ablaze,” the resident said.

“As residents woke up and attempted to flee, the gunmen opened fire on them, killing innocent people without provocation. So far, nine corpses have been recovered, but we fear the number may rise as many persons are still missing and unaccounted for.

“It is a sad Easter for our people who were preparing for the celebrations before this tragedy struck.

“We cannot understand why these killings continue. A few years ago, they attacked this same community and killed two Catholic priests and worshippers in a church. We urge the government to take decisive action to stop these senseless killings,” he added.

Confirming the development, the Security Adviser to the Gwer East Local Government Chairman, Austin Awua, said most of the victims were young men and that search efforts were ongoing for those still missing.

“Residents said they noticed unusual movements between 4am and 5am, and by 5am the attackers had begun burning houses and the entire community market,” he stated.

“At the moment, we cannot ascertain the reason for this unprovoked attack. The community is deserted, as residents have fled for safety. This area is close to where two Catholic priests and 17 worshippers were killed in 2018. However, the situation is currently calm.”

Awua added that security agencies, including the Army, Police, and Civil Defence, had been deployed to the area to prevent further attacks, noting that the assailants struck and fled.

Also speaking, the Chairman of Gwer East Local Government Council, Timothy Adi, confirmed the incident and assured that security had been reinforced while search-and-rescue operations continue.

Photo of Governor Hyacinth Alia

Meanwhile, Hyacinth Alia has condemned the attack, describing it as barbaric and unacceptable.

In a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Tersoo Kula, the governor expressed sympathy to affected families and reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to protecting lives and property.

“Governor Hyacinth Alia, strongly condemns the heinous attack carried out by suspected armed herdsmen on the peace-loving people of Mbalom in Gwer East LGA.

“The governor describes the barbaric act as unacceptable and a direct affront to the collective peace and security of the state. He expresses deep sympathy to families affected by the attack and assures them that the government stands firmly with them in this difficult time,” the statement read.

The governor also warned against what he described as a pattern of calculated attacks in parts of the state, vowing that such acts of violence would not be allowed to continue.

“He reiterates his unwavering resolve to confront and subdue all forms of criminality threatening the safety of Benue communities.”

He further commended the Nigeria Police Force for their swift response and ongoing efforts, noting that security agencies are already tracking the perpetrators with a view to ensuring their arrest and prosecution.

Residents have been urged to remain calm, vigilant, and cooperative with security agencies by providing credible information that could aid ongoing investigations.

As of the time of filing this report, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Udeme Edet, could not be reached for comment.

What you should know

A renewed attack in Mbalom, Benue State, has left at least nine people dead, with several others missing, highlighting ongoing insecurity in the region. 

The assault mirrors the 2018 church massacre in the same area, raising fears of a recurring pattern of violence. Authorities have deployed security forces, while Governor Hyacinth Alia has condemned the killings and pledged action. 

The incident underscores the urgent need for stronger security measures and intelligence to protect vulnerable rural communities in Benue State.

Tags: Benue StateGwer EastHerdsmen Attack
Share198Tweet124Share35
Previous Post

7 Killed as Terrorists Attack Churches in Kaduna on Easter

Next Post

Nigeria’s Box Office Records Best Q1 in Six Years

Related Posts

Gunmen

Gunmen Abduct Health Worker, Wife in Kogi Community

by Victoria Ogbadu
May 22, 2026
0

Terror struck the ancient community of Iluke, Kabba-Bunu LGA, Kogi State, as gunmen abducted a prominent health worker and his...

Court

Court Dismisses Suit Against Senator Ireti Kingibe

by Victoria Ogbadu
May 22, 2026
0

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Friday threw out a suit filed by ward executives of the party seeking...

IRAN

Iran Confirms 35 Ships Cross the Strait of Hormuz

by Victoria Ogbadu
May 22, 2026
0

Iran's Revolutionary Guard announced on Friday that over 35 commercial vessels transited the Strait of Hormuz within 24 hours, citing...

Prince Andrew

Prince Andrew Faces Two Criminal Probes

by Victoria Ogbadu
May 22, 2026
0

Thames Valley Police have opened a second investigation into disgraced former Prince Andrew, this time over an alleged sexual incident...

Presidency

Presidency Dismisses Viral Report on Renaming Nigeria

by Victoria Ogbadu
May 22, 2026
0

The Nigerian Presidency has swiftly dismissed a viral report alleging that President Tinubu plans to rename Nigeria the "United States...

Load More
Next Post
Nigeria’s Box Office Records Best Q1 in Six Years

Nigeria’s Box Office Records Best Q1 in Six Years

NDPC Launches Full-Scale Probe into Remita and Sterling Bank

NDPC Launches Full-Scale Probe into Remita and Sterling Bank

Photo of Bandits

Policeman Killed as Bandits Attack Communities in Katsina

OPEC+

OPEC+ Signals Modest Output Hike for May

Netflix

Court Orders Netflix to Pay Back Millions Over Illegal Subscription Hikes in Italy

Oil

Oil Prices Surge Past $110 as Hormuz Strait Remains Blocked

Former Federal Lawmaker Resigns From ADC

ADC State Secretary Resigns

ADC Speaks On David Mark’s Resignation

ADC Speaks On David Mark’s Resignation

Photo of President Bola Tinubu

Tinubu Approves ₦3.3trn to Clear Power Sector Debts

Channels TV Seun Okinbaloye Reacts After Wike Threatened To Shoot Him

Channels TV Seun Okinbaloye Reacts After Wike Threatened To Shoot Him

  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
cbn governor olayemi cardoso

CBN Approves Merger Between Two Banks

February 23, 2026
2027: APC Governors Endorse Next Senate President After Akpabio

APC Governorship Candidate Joins ADC

March 16, 2026
NNPC Increases Petrol Price

NNPC Reduces Fuel Price

March 17, 2026
Kenya Airways

Viral video: Drama at Airport as Nigerian Woman Clashes with Kenya Airways Over Visa Issue

0
NLC

NLC Suspends Nationwide Protest Over Telecom Tariff Hike

0
VeryDarkMan

VeryDarkMan Vows to Uncover Truth in Mercy Chinwo and Ex-Manager’s Controversy

0
Kwara

Kwara Speaker Danladi Clinches APC Governorship Ticket

May 22, 2026
Gunmen

Gunmen Abduct Health Worker, Wife in Kogi Community

May 22, 2026
Court

Court Dismisses Suit Against Senator Ireti Kingibe

May 22, 2026
Verily News

Copyright © 2025 Verily News.

Navigate Site

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Global News
  • Politics
    • Political Analysis
    • Government & Policies
  • Business & Economy
    • DIY and FAQ
    • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Movie
    • Music
  • Technology
  • Trends
  • Fact-Check
    • Investigative Reports
  • Opinion
  • Share your story

Copyright © 2025 Verily News.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
Get Breaking News Alerts on WhatsApp