Chief of Staff to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Femi Gbajabiamila, has applauded the conduct of the All Progressives Congress (APC) House of Assembly primary election in Surulere Constituency I, Lagos State, describing the exercise as peaceful, transparent and well organised.
Gbajabiamila made the remarks on Wednesday shortly after casting his vote at Ward G2, Adeniran Ogunsanya Ward 5, located within the Alaka Housing Estate area of Surulere.
The former Speaker of the House of Representatives expressed satisfaction with the process, commending both party officials and members for maintaining order throughout the exercise.
“You know, this is my ward, Ward G2, and I have been voting here in Ward G2 for as long as I have been in politics,” he said while addressing journalists after voting.
“And anytime I come to vote, whatever office or election it is, my reaction is always the same. When I see peaceful, fair, credible, orderly elections, I am always very happy.”
“And that is exactly what I have seen today,” Gbajabiamila added.
He also praised the turnout recorded during the primary election, noting that participation by party members was impressive despite the exercise being an internal party contest.
“The turnout, considering that we are talking about primaries here, has been very impressive. People have been peaceful and orderly,” he stated.
“The election has been free and transparent, and I am happy to see that. So, I congratulate the people of Ward G2.”
According to him, reports from other wards across Surulere Constituency I equally indicated that the election process remained peaceful and credible in most areas.
“From what I am hearing, the feedback I am getting, it is the same across the board,” he said.

Gbajabiamila’s remarks came shortly after the withdrawal of the incumbent lawmaker representing Surulere Constituency I in the Lagos State House of Assembly, Desmond Elliot, from the APC primary election.
Elliot had earlier announced his withdrawal in a video circulated on social media, alleging that some individuals prevented his supporters from gaining access to the polling venue.
“My name is Desmond Elliot. In all zones, they have been intimidating and stopping us,” Elliot said in the viral clip.
“I want to officially announce my withdrawal from this particular race. This is my ward. If you go outside, those are my people outside, and they have not been allowed.”
The lawmaker also claimed that repeated appeals made to electoral officials to allow his supporters into the polling area were ignored.
Following his withdrawal announcement, some of his supporters reportedly staged a peaceful protest before leaving the venue alongside the actor-turned-politician.
The latest development has further intensified political conversations surrounding the APC primaries in Lagos State, especially in Surulere Constituency I, where the contest has attracted widespread attention in recent weeks.
Political observers believe the contrasting narratives from Gbajabiamila and Desmond Elliot may deepen discussions about the credibility and fairness of the exercise among party stakeholders.
What you should know
The APC primaries in Lagos State have generated significant political attention following allegations of irregularities, intimidation and internal disagreements in some constituencies.
In Surulere Constituency I, the contest became more controversial after Desmond Elliot withdrew from the race, accusing unnamed individuals of blocking his supporters from participating.
However, Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, who voted in the same constituency, publicly praised the election as peaceful and transparent.
The development highlights growing political tensions within the APC ahead of the 2027 general elections, particularly in Lagos where several key party figures and incumbents are battling to retain influence and secure party tickets.
























