Desmond Elliot, a member of the Lagos State House of Assembly representing Surulere Constituency I, has explained why he signed the impeachment notice against Speaker Mudashiru Obasa during the January 2025 leadership crisis that rocked the Assembly.
Speaking during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Tuesday, the actor-turned-politician said he was outside the country when the impeachment occurred and believed at the time that the move had the backing of the presidency.
Elliot’s explanation came in response to claims by the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, who recently alleged that intelligence reports linked him to the impeachment attempt and that the development nearly cost him his position.
“I would like to state categorically that I wasn’t in the country. My wife and I travelled during the period of January 13th of 2025.
“We were in recess and then it was an opportunity for us to travel to attend my wife’s younger sister’s wedding,” he said.
According to Elliot, he was in South Africa when news of Obasa’s impeachment broke, adding that the development initially came as a shock.
“That was the time Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Ajayi Obasa was impeached by Lagos State House of Assembly.
“It came to me as a shock because I was in South Africa then. So, obviously, it took me about two days to come back. I was also as confused as everybody was.”
He explained that upon his return, he observed that many lawmakers had already signed the impeachment notice and assumed the process had presidential approval.
“And then I saw that almost everybody had signed. And pretty much we thought it was from the presidency. In all fairness, we thought it was from the presidency.
“And, of course, I appended my own signature. I believe I was maybe 30-something person at that point in time because others who had travelled had returned and others who signed,” he said.

Elliot disclosed that lawmakers later received direct clarification from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, who informed them that the impeachment was not authorised by him.
“But eventually, Mr President called us and made us understand that it was not from him and asked us to return the speaker. And we did,” he added.
Responding to Gbajabiamila’s accusations, Elliot said he was surprised by the claims given their longstanding political relationship.
“So, my leader coming to say this, that I almost lost his job, one I have served and has also been there for me for this long, to have said that came to me as a shock,” he said.
The crisis began on January 13, 2025, when a majority of lawmakers voted to remove Obasa as Speaker while he was reportedly on vacation in the United States.
The lawmakers accused him of gross misconduct, abuse of office, poor leadership style, persistent lateness to plenary sessions and alleged mismanagement of Assembly funds. Obasa denied the allegations.
Following his removal, his deputy, Mojisola Meranda, was elected Speaker.
However, after weeks of political tension, legal disputes and interventions by APC leaders and President Tinubu, Meranda stepped down and Obasa was reinstated as Speaker.
What You Should Know
Desmond Elliot’s explanation sheds new light on the January 2025 Lagos Assembly crisis and suggests that many lawmakers acted under the belief that the impeachment had presidential backing.
His comments also deepen public interest in the political tensions within Lagos’ power structure, especially given Femi Gbajabiamila’s earlier claims linking him to the crisis.
The episode highlights the influence of internal party dynamics in Lagos politics and may continue to shape political alignments ahead of future elections.
Elliot’s public clarification appears aimed at distancing himself from claims that he orchestrated or actively drove the impeachment effort.






















